Recipe of the week
Apple & currant crumble bars
INGREDIENTS (FOR 12 BARS)
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
200g unsalted butter (softened)
250g soft light brown sugar
120g rolled oats
300g Granny Smith apples
4 tbsp cornflour
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
- Preheat your over to 170C and line your tray or dish with baking parchment
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the softened butter and rub together until you end up with a squishy breadcrumb consistency.
- Stir in the sugar and the oats (I used cheap and cheerful porridge oats)
- Pop half the mixture into your tray/dish.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into thin slices and cover with cornflour (plain flour seemed to work a treat for me, though) and the spices.
- Arrange the slices in lines on top of the oat mixture in your tray/dish and sprinkle the currants on top.
- Spoon the remaining oat mixture over the apples and currants and smooth down. Don’t make it too neat though. The bars look better with a slightly more rustic finish. Far more Coorie!
- Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top and then cut into slices when cool(er).