This versatile dish can be paired with a salad or pop a slice in a Tupperware box to take for lunch the next day. The joy of the frittata is that you can use up some of those lonesome vegetables close to their use-by date you have sitting around.
To serve 4, you'll need:
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 250g (9 oz) mixed, diced, cooked vegetables of your choice (we recommend potato, peppers, courgette, tomatoes or mushrooms)
- 1 cup of cabbage, shredded
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/. Heat your grill to a medium temperature. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 23cm frying pan and cook the chopped onion on a low heat for about 5 minutes until soft. Take care not to burn. Add the garlic, stir, then add the cooked vegetables and cabbage. Cook for a further 2 mins.
2/. Season the beaten eggs with a twist of black pepper and a little salt at the last minute. Give the eggs a good whisking.
3/. Tip the beaten eggs into the cooked vegetables in the frying pan and stir. Add the parsley and stir well.
4/. Turn the heat down to low and cook until the sides and centre of the omelette is barely set.
5/. Transfer the frittata to under the grill and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6/. Remove from the heat, and leave to cool slightly. Enjoy!